New School Zone Lights in Nacogdoches and Other Local TxDOT Updates
Warm weather has TxDOT crews busy as construction and maintenance projects continue throughout the nine county district. Motorists should expect delays through the work zones and stay alert to workers and moving equipment.
The newly installed School Zone lights at Regents Academy on Stallings Drive in Nacogdoches will be operational beginning Tuesday afternoon (5/8). Stay alert and be prepared to reduce speed when lights are flashing. No cell phones. Law enforcement will be monitoring.
Other project updates and work scheduled for the coming week in the Lufkin District includes:
- US 69: Crews are working in northbound lanes to patch base failures. In northbound and southbound lanes, new road surface is being applied through this project that will resurface the roadway from just north of FM 841 to 1.2 miles south of FM 1669. Be prepared for delays during peak travel hours.
- US 69: Work is planned to continue right of way clearing at the north and south ends of the project that is designed for future construction from FM 844 to the Zavalla city limits. Smoke expected through the area. Drivers should use caution.
- US 69: Work continues to excavate the ditch and prepare the right of way on the right side of the roadway. Crews will be placing top soil and hauling excavated material on this project designed to widen the roadway from two to four lanes from the Huntington city limits to FM 844.
- US 59 South: Work is scheduled to continue with mill and inlay from Lufkin to Diboll. Motorists should expect lane closures and delays.
- FM 842: Base repairs are scheduled in various locations.
- FM 2109: Base repairs are scheduled in various locations.
- Various locations: Herbicide treatments, pothole repairs and sign repairs are scheduled in various locations.
- SH 21: Work continues to improve guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects from SH 7 to the San Augustine County line. Motorists should expect daily lane closures. A pilot car is in place to guide motorists.
- SH 103: Crews are upgrading metal beam guard fence and upgrading to design standards from Angelina County to the San Augustine County line. Daily lane closures expected.
- FM 343: This project is being monitored for vegetative establishment from the Cherokee County line to FM 225 after the pavement was reconstructed and widened.
- FM 95: Crews are working on the bridge detour at this bridge replacement project over Terrapin Creek.
- US 59: Work is scheduled to level up edges of the roadway in various locations.
- US 190: Crews will level up edges and fill potholes in various locations.
- FM 356: Traffic has been switched to its final configuration from 1.1 miles north of US 190 to US 190 where the pavement has been reconstructed and widened with a continuous two-way left turn lane and 10-foot shoulders. A seal coat layer is scheduled to be applied with a final layer of hot mix to follow.
- Various locations: Herbicide treatment to control vegetation is scheduled along roadway edges.
- US 287 North: Crews will work to level up the roadway at Happy Holler.
- SH 21: Crews are working to place concrete on the east side of the bridge over the Trinity River on this bridge foundation repair project.
- SH 21 West: Work continues to remove old concrete pavement. Temporary traffic signals are in place allowing for one-way traffic in the work area. This project is designed to reconstruct pavement and add passing lanes from 2.3 miles east of FM 2967 to SH 7. Expect detours and lane closures.
- SH 7 East: Ditch work is scheduled in various locations.
- SL 304: Work is scheduled to level up the pavement from US 287 North to FM 229.
- SL 304: Crews will be spot sealing from the railroad overpass to FM 229.
- FM 227: Work is continuing on cross structures in this project designed to safety treat fixed objects from SH 21 to SH 7.
- FM 227: Crews will work on road base and level pavement edges in various locations from Ratcliff to SH 21 East.
- FM 357: Work is continuing to extend cross structures from SH 7 to the Trinity County line and from Apple Springs to FM 2262 in this project to safety treat fixed objects.
- FM 3187: Work is scheduled to level up road surface, spot seal and do necessary base work from SH 21 East to the end of pavement.
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59: Crews are completing signage through the project and monitoring vegetation from just south of the Union Pacific Railroad in Shepherd to just north of FM 2914. This project has added a southbound frontage road and reconstructed main lanes of travel.
- US 59: Crews are scheduled to repair signs, delineators and mailboxes in various locations.
- US 190: Work is scheduled to repair base and level up shoulders in various locations.
- FM 1127: Crews will continue to safety treat fixed objects and upgrade metal beam guard fence to design standards from US 59 to the end of pavement.
- Various locations: Crews are adding grating at curb ramps that have been constructed within the city of Coldspring.
- SH 87: Crews will continue to install driveway pipe on this project designed to improve and upgrade guardrail to design standards and safety treat fixed objects from SH 7 to SH 147.
- CR 4293: Crews are preparing the right of way for the bridge replacement at Chicken Bayou.
- CR 4620: Work continues on the detour bridge along with right of way work at the bridge replacement site over Risinger Creek.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- SH 21: Embankment is being placed at this bridge replacement project over Niciper Creek.
- SH 87: Work is scheduled to repair road base in various locations.
- FM 711: Crews are mixing cement and new flexible base material on this project designed to reconstruct and widen pavement from the Shelby County line to US 96. Daily lane closures expected.
- SH 87 North: Crews are scheduled to do base repairs, leveling and edge repairs in various locations.
- FM 230: Crews are scheduled to level edges and roadway in various locations.
Remember the Move Over Slow Down law requires drivers to either move to another available lane or if no lane is available, reduce speed by 20 miles per hour below the posted speed limit when emergency blue lights are flashing. All schedules are subject to change in inclement weather. For updates and closures statewide, visit drivetexas.org.