Monday evening (Oct. 9) after the fatal shooting of a Texas Tech Police officer at the department's headquarters, the university released information about what led up to it.

According to Texas Tech University, campus police officers made a student welfare check Monday night. When they entered the student's room, they saw drug paraphernalia. The student, later identified as Hollis A. Daniels, was then brought to the police station. That's where Daniels reportedly pulled out a gun and shot an officer in the head before fleeing the scene. The officer died.

Daniels was apprehended at around 9:30 p.m. The all-clear from Texas Tech University was given at 9:34 p.m. and the campus lockdown was lifted. Citizens are instructed to avoid the Texas Tech University Police Department and the north side of campus.

Here is the full statement from Texas Tech University:

Earlier this evening, a Texas Tech Police Department officer was shot and killed.

The suspect, Hollis Daniels, has been apprehended and taken into custody.

Texas Tech Police made a student welfare check late this afternoon. Upon entering the suspect’s room, officers found evidence of drugs and drug paraphernalia. Officers brought the suspect to the police station for standard debriefing.

“During this time, the suspect pulled a gun and mortally shot an officer,” Texas Tech Police Department Chief Kyle Bonath said. “The suspect fled on foot and later apprehended by TTPD near the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum.”

“The family of the officer is in the thoughts and prayers of the Texas Tech community,” Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec said. “I want to express my deep appreciation to the Texas Tech Police Department, Lubbock Police Department, Lubbock Sherriff’s Office, and other state and federal law enforcement officials for their response.”

Texas Tech University campus lockdown has been lifted. Classes will resume as scheduled tomorrow, Oct. 10.

Texas Tech University System Chancellor Robert Duncan issued a statement mourning the loss of the Texas Tech police officer.

"Words can’t express how saddened I am by the tragic loss of one of our Texas Tech University police officers tonight," said Duncan. "Terri and I offer our thoughts and prayers to the officer’s family and the Texas Tech University Police Department. I would like to thank Governor Greg Abbott, Lubbock Mayor Dan Pope and all of the law enforcement professionals from across the area who supported our campus during this time of need. Our Texas Tech family is strong and will support each other as we grieve."


    3-Year-Old Texas Girl Missing

More From Classic Rock Q107